Thursday, September 18, 2008

What Did Muhammad Teach You?

Today, as I was walking home after tarawikh, suddenly someone shouted at me from my back, "WHAT DID MUHAMMAD TEACH YOU?" I turned around and saw the guy: An old man, homeless, begging for money beside the road, and he looked rather drunk. I just smiled at him; I didn't have money with me; any attempt at conversation seemed unwise given his temperament. I guess the sight of a person wearing white kandoorah (jubah putih) in the middle of downtown is still perturbing to some.

I always wonder... How is it like to be a sister wearing the niqaab in the western world? The sense of ghuraba' that one feels. I guess she must be getting insults on regular basis - some niqaabi sisters related to me that they do get unkind words from time to time, but experiencing it oneself is another matter all together. Anyway, the incident reminded me of Dawud Whansby's awesome song, Don't Talk to Me About Muhammad:-


As we walk along together, we will get along just fine...

As we walk along together, we will get along just fine...

As I travel down life's road, I will get along just fine...

From Youtube's video info:-

The Prophet (pbuh) offered to help this woman, and all she does throughout their encounter is to mock and malign the Prophet (pbuh). Yet, he says nothing. He continues to help the woman with her load. He does not lash back at her; he does not pray for God's destruction upon her; he does not drop her stuff and let her fend for herself. No. He helps the woman anyway, and when she finds out who he is, all she could do was follow him into Islam.Yet, the fact that she became Muslim is not the most important aspect of this story. It was the Prophet's character thats amazing the most. It is this aspect of the Prophet's sunnah that many of us have completely neglected. to read about this story in the hadith (I have no idea abot it's authenticity), go here: http://www.altmuslim.com/a/a/a/missing_the_point/

4 comments:

  1. arif.ko sedar rupenye die jerit.aku cuak doh lepastu.igtkan mamat tu nak kejar aku.wohoho

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perasan. Masa aku cross traffic light aku pandang dia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're religious too :) anyway, thanks for babysitting us all these while. and i really mean thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I went to the Masjid first time, there was a Muslim beggar outside begging me for food,home,money,everything etc and then accused me of not helping other muslims brother. Dugaan2. LOL

    - hafiz

    ReplyDelete