Monday, September 1, 2008

Some of My Fav Quotes

On principle, love, and fight. Essentials aren't they?

"I will keep the Law given by God; sanctioned by man. I will hold on to the principals received by me when I was sane, and not mad- as I am now. Laws and principles are not for the times when there is no temptation: they are for such moments as this, when body and soul rise in mutiny against the rigour, stringent are they; inviolate they shall be" (Jane Eyre)

Temptations... I wish I am strong during such times. Inviolate they shall be!

"Sometimes, it is true, love comes as a result of a definite cause outside the soul, but then it passes away when the cause itself disappears: one who is fond of you because of a certain circumstance will turn his back on you when that motive no longer exists." (Ibn Hazm)

So true... No such thing as head over heels, even though that is perhaps the usual tendency.

“Never do I argue with a man with a desire to hear him say what is wrong, or to expose him and win victory over him. Whenever I face an opponent in debate I silently pray - "O Allah, help him so that truth may flow from his heart and on his tongue, and so that if truth is on my side, he may follow me; and if truth be on his side, I may follow him." (Imam Syafi'i)

Keep it dispassionate and keep an open mind. Surely that is no easy feat.

No comments:

Post a Comment