Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Some Musing on Film

I rarely watch Malay films. The only Malay film I remember watching was Mukhsin, and I don't like it. The liberal element that the director tried to put into the story is just so blatant, so I was fumed with the agenda. Having said that, I have to admit that the vast majority of Malays out there are fast becoming like Mukhsin - sadly. But I won't give credit to the film for potraying the reality of our society, because I believe the theme of the story was put up with an agenda, not as a critique.

Somehow - not under normal circumstances - I watched Zombi Kampung Pisang pretty recently. Well, I watched snippets of the movie rather than the whole thing - the latter would put me to sleep. I was left wondering as to why would anyone make such a movie? Better still, how can anyone feel entertained by it? Maybe it's just beyond me.

“Ada antara filem hantu yang tidak menyumbang kepada pembentukan insan, tambahan apabila ditonton oleh kanak-kanak boleh mempengaruhi pemikiran mereka," Dr Mohd Asri Zainul Abidin.

I don't see any point either in making substansive films that probably can win awards, but they promote messages and cultures that are - simply put - pointless. I know some people who rave about some Malay films which are substansive, with good story line, etcetera, but they failed to spot the messages or agendas behind the film, which are actually antithesis to the ideals that they hold. To me that is schizophrenic; it's like raving about how nice the black leather of an electric chair is, without realizing that you are the next person who is going to sit on that mega-volt killing machine. Worse, some people don't even realize it's an electric chair.


Put aside hollywood movies, they have expert psychologists, propagandists, and masterminds behind them in their bid to dominate the world; to control the mind of human being; to control the thought process of human being. Plus, whatever direction their civilization wants to go is up to them. It is their influence that we should be wary of, because we live for the akhirah, not just for the ephemeral dunya.




Lastly, in an age where people of knowledge have little integrity, only few will stand up and make their voices heard.


No comments:

Post a Comment