Sunday, July 5, 2009

Your Move Chief

I’m just tired… I’m tired of… I don’t know. This is a scene from Good Will Hunting that blew me away. So out of my boredom, I’ve transcribed it. Context: Sean is the counselor and Will is the young lad (in the 20s) prodigy. They were sitting on a bench, at a park, looking at a lake full of swans.

Will: This is really nice, you got a thing about swan? maybe it’s like a fetish, maybe something we should devote some time into? [in a sarcastic tone]

The rest is Sean:
You’re just a kid, you don’t have the faintest idea what you’re talking about.

So if I ask you about art, you probably give the skinny on every art book ever written. Michael Angello, you know a lot about him, life’s work, political aspiration, the whole work right. But you can’t tell me what it smells like in the 16th chapel, you’ve never actually stood there and look up at the beautiful ceiling.

If I ask you about war, you probably throw Shakespeare at me right? “Once more into the bridge dear friends.” But you’ve never been near one, you’ve never held your best friend’s head in your lap, and watch him grasp his last breath and looking to you for help

If I ask you about love, probably you quote me a sonnet, but you’ve never looked into a woman and been totally vulnerable, feeling like God put an angel on earth just for you, and you wouldn’t know what it’s like to be her angel, to have that love for her to be there forever, through anything, through cancer. You wouldn’t know about sleeping, sitting up in the hospital room for two months holding her hands because the doctor can see in your eyes that the term visiting hours don’t apply to you. [Sean is talking about his wife who passed away due to cancer, and Will insulted him beforehand by accusing that he regretted marrying her because of that]

You don’t know about real lost, because that only occurs when you love something more than you love yourself. I doubt you ever dare to love anybody that much.

Look at you, I don’t see an intelligent, confident man. I see a cocky, scared kid. You’re a genius Will, no one denies that. No one can possibly understand the depths of you, but you presume you know everything about me because you saw a painting of mine and you rip my life apart.

You’re an orphan right? Do you think I know the first thing about how hard your life has been, how you feel, who you are, because I’ve read Olivier Twist? Does that encapsulate you?

Personally I don’t care. You know what? I can’t learn anything from you; I can’t read from some book. Unless you want to talk about you, who you are, and I’m fascinated, I’m in, but you don’t want to do that right? You’re terrified about what you might say.

Your move chief.

[end of scene]

I’m like the smart alec in the family. Note: Mr Know-It-All who actually doesn't know anything at all. If you know me, you would probably agree that I tend to think that I’m right most of the time – perhaps you were even irritated by me because of it. Of course, that is a flaw. My mom used to tell me, “You young man, you always think you’re right, and you can’t see your own flaw” (well, something along that line). She told me that wisdom and farsightedness is something that sometimes you only acquire by age.

Although I did ponder about the possibility of the truth of her premise of argument, I still thought I was right during that time and pressed on with my argument. By the way, arguing means, we were just having a difference of opinion, and debated about it in a healthy, sopan way. But you know what? She was right; mom is always right. And this Good Will Hunting scene drove the point home.

P.S.
Ada this arab guy bawak anak dia solat, and she looks exactly like Ayra. Rindu nak balik… Haha..

No comments:

Post a Comment