Tuesday, May 15, 2007

If Truth Be On...

Never do I argue with a man with a desire to hear him say what is wrong, or to expose him and win victory over him. Whenever I face an opponent in debate I silently pray - "O Allah, help him so that truth may flow from his heart and on his tongue, and so that if truth is on my side, he may follow me; and if truth be on his side, I may follow him."
(Imam Al-Shafi'e)

How many times have we debated and quarrel with other people because of our ego and other unlawful desires? May our intention be clear each time we open our mouth to object about something, because the truth may not be on our side! Even if it is on our side, then are we trying to convince our opponent about the truth that we have or are we trying to crush him and prove him wrong? May Allah guides us.

Abu' Umamah Al-Bahili reported: Messenger of Allah said: "I guarantee a house in Jannah for one who gives up arguing, even if he is in the right; and I guarantee a home in the middle of Jannah for one who abandons lying even for the sake of fun; and I guarantee a house in the highest part of Jannah for one who has good manners." (Riwayah Abu Dawud)

1 comment:

  1. hummm...ur post ni makes ni insaf, cos im always debating with ppl. argue all the time. tak baek betul. especially when i know im right. thanks for this post. opens up my eyes

    ReplyDelete