Sunday, March 15, 2009

Anecdotes on Abu Hanifah

Note: This is transcription of Dr. Umar Faruq Abd-Allah's audio lecture: The Principal Imams and Their Schools. I listen to the lecture as I have to do an essay on the formation of school of laws (madhab) for my Islamic History course. I am bored, so this is an aside for me. I find this part funny and interesting, so I would like to share it here. Since it is an audio lecture, there are no citations or authenticity reports for the stories.

Abu Hanifah was a very humorous man. He was a person who people love to be around him. It is very hard to hate Abu Hanifah. He was extremely affable. He knew how to approach people. An example: He heard of a shi’i in Kuffah who was saying bad things about Uthman r.a. What did he do? What would you do? Go beat him up, right? Go and get him…

Abu Hanifah went to the man’s house and the conversation went something like this:

“There is someone here who would like to marry your daughter.”
“O really, really?”
“Yeah, he is very wealthy.”
“That’s ok, I don’t mind”
“Also he has this quality and that quality”
(Abu Hanifah was describing all the good qualities of Uthman r.a.)
The main said, “Goodness, bring this man, this will be such an honour”
Abu Hanifah said,“This is Uthman ibn Affan”
The man was like, “Oh.. Ok I get my lesson.”

Another story:-
Abu Hanifah had a neighbor who got drunk every night and he will start singing. He always sang nobody loves me, everybody hates me (you know that kind of thing). Then one night Abu Hanifah didn’t hear him singing, so he asked someone around, “where is he?” “He is in jail, they picked him up, he was drunk and he was singing.” Abu Hanifah got on his mule and he rode to the jail

He told the jail man, “you know that young man, that is my neighbor. I am Abu Hanifah.” “Oh, you are Abu Hanifah?” “Yeah, don’t you think you can let him out?”

So he got the young man out of the prison and sat him on the back of his mule. He started riding and he said, “how come you’re not singing? You’re always singing.” The young man just fell in love with Abu Hanifah and he became like a disciple of Abu Hanifah.

There were so many stories like that, but that was Abu Hanifah. He was a very beautiful person.

No comments:

Post a Comment